bug triage considered useful?

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Wed May 14 15:36:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 05:07:52PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Provoking question:
>
> Am I the only person in Fedora who considers this bug triaging (esp.
> today's) to be producing more noise and spam than useful results?

Having had to personally deal with tens of thousands of bugs / bug
reports / issues / resolutions in the 9+ years I've been actively
developing Linux, I'm glad for _anyone_ who steps up and tries to
actively manage this list.  Issues get resolved but not closed.
Issues get reported but lack follow-up (either developer or reporter)
on occasion.  Eventually these need to get pruned, like any good
garden, leaving only the actual problems which need focus.  The Triage
effort is designed to do exactly this.

Does it generate some additional mail?  Yes.  Are they taking steps to
minimize the extra mail?  Yes.  But does that mail generation negate
the good they're accomplishing?  IMHO, No.