Re: Fedora and the world

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 14:43 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> I'm not sure what people will think of this message, and it is no more
> than a very rough discussion starter, but I thought I'd speak up and
> see if anybody was interested.

> How much consideration does Fedora put into its impact on the wider
> world? One specific example might be our servers:

We can provide the resources for improving power efficiency, but I don't
believe that we should dictate external policies.

> What about where Fedora's accounts are held?

What if a Fedora account is held by someone seeking to overthrow a
government? What if a Fedora account is held by a company seeking to
find a cure for a terminal disease via illegal stem cell research? What
if a Fedora account is held by a vandal? A robber? Someone speaking out
against a religion?

IMO, the Fedora Project MUST maintain an amoral stance on who gets
accounts (within the realm of the laws it's bound by, of course), even
if the members feel otherwise.