Fedora and the world

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu May 15 17:18:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams
<ivazqueznet at gmail.com> wrote:
> What if a Fedora account is held by someone seeking to overthrow a
> government? What if a Fedora account is held by a company seeking to
> find a cure for a terminal disease via illegal stem cell research? What
> if a Fedora account is held by a vandal? A robber? Someone speaking out
> against a religion?
>
> IMO, the Fedora Project MUST maintain an amoral stance on who gets
> accounts (within the realm of the laws it's bound by, of course), even
> if the members feel otherwise.

Oh we are talking about FAS accounts.... not the secret monetary bank
accounts that I'm not suppose to know about.

I think FAS usage policy should be as narrow as possible, and account
restrictions and terminations scenarios should be well defined and
limited to things which directly impact the ability for this project
to function without speaking to any larger political agenda.  I
certainly wouldn't want to see Fedora policies designed to punish
'bad' behavior outside the scope of Fedora operations.  We've got more
than enough political drama internally, thanks.

Now as a project, we might empower the Board to find a way to reward
externally facing behavior.  The Fedora Peace Prize?  The Fedora Green
Living Initiave?  The Fedora Pimped Out Ride Award?  With the payoff
for the project being strengthening the awareness of the Fedora brand
and the Fedora mission as a force for social good.

-jef