Fedora 11 schedule proposal

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Nov 12 18:46:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 19:30 -0500, Brian Pepple wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 16:11 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> <snip>
> > I'd like to see some conversation on this (or none if you all agree with
> > me) and a conclusion met within the next 2 weeks, that is at or before
> > the release of Fedora 10.
>
> Looks pretty reasonable to me.  My big concern is if we slip for F11
> (which given our past track record is fairly likely) we'll be reducing
> the F12 development cycle even more.

This reasoning is exactly why we decided a few years ago that the dates
(May Day/Halloween) were to be the target dates always.  If a release
slips, we realign the next one to what it should been targeted with.
Yes, it means a shortened window in this case for F11, but the
predictability it adds is significant and if F11 slips, the impact to
F12 is lessened.

Otherwise, we're really saying that the release date of release n+1 is
release n's date + six months (which is what we used to do).  And the
problem with that is that any slips over time meaning that we end up
running into major holidays for a release date and have to have a
long/short cycle to reset things.

Jeremy