Fedora 11 schedule proposal

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Nov 12 20:00:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 20:44 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Fedora is a Red Hat sponsored project and a lot of Fedora developers are
> payed by Red Hat. Nevertheless: What really irritates and annoys me is
> that it at least *looks like* the idea to delay Fedora 11 a bit to help
> RHEL 6 seems to come from *within* the project.
>
> That's IMHO totally wrong way around and IMHO should not have happened.
>
> Fedora IMHO should try to more act like a independent project if Fedora
> wants to get taken serious; otherwise Fedora will always stay a RH pet
> project that is unattractive to other medium or big sized Linux
> companies that might want to get involved in Fedora as well.
>
> Things like that also won't help to get rid of the "Fedora is just a
> RHEL beta" fame most of us dislike.
>
> Note that I have *no* problem with the idea itself that RH might want us
> to delay F11 (apart from the fact that I belive that predictable release
> dates are quite important). But RH should clearly have asked the project
> in a kind of official way "Can you please consider a one month delay for
> F11 as it would suite us very well".

That's just it.  "Red Hat" isn't asking us to delay.  They're asking us
to pick a schedule and they'll deal.  Knowing what "Red Hat" is going to
do in the next year or so as RHEL 6 gets under way, I wanted to give
Fedora the biggest benefit to that extra attention as possible, and to
me that meant giving F11 a full 6 month cycle.  After F11 is out, I
can't guess when RHEL will import Fedora sources and "branch" CVS.  At
that time, it would be harder to get RHEL resources looking at Fedora
things, and harder to get RHEL fixes done in Fedora.

This is not at all Red Hat asking us to delay.  Red Hat will do whatever
it needs to do for RHEL, be it tracking F11 fully, or branching early,
or late, or whatever.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!