election software

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Wed Oct 8 11:40:47 UTC 2008

Hey, all-

recently saw this: http://nigelj.livejournal.com/10507.html Can't
comment directly because I don't have an LJ account.

Elections are fairly serious, important business- much less so in a
community where elected representatives are the deciders of last
resort instead of first resort, but still. So I'd strongly recommend
using someone else's code that has been tested and reviewed for
security and correctness rather than writing your own. Two open
options are:

http://www.heliosvoting.org/
http://selectricity.org/

I realize Fedora has some unusual needs, and I appreciate the effort
Nigel has put in on this, but Fedora should strongly consider not
reinventing this particular wheel. Focus on the deliberative part of
what Nigel is working on (question tool, etc.) and leave the voting
part to those who have already worked on the problem extensively.

Luis