Fedora Remix mark

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 17:31:29 UTC 2008

> Tom spot Callaway (tcallawa at redhat.com) said:
> > > So Art is now going to be responsible for three versions of all
> > > artwork? That may be somewhat onerous (or at least irritating) for
> > > them.
> >
> > Uhh, the only thing that would be in "fedora-remix-logos" would be the
> > approved color variants of the chosen remix logos. We're not really
> > tripling their work. People can layer the remix logo on top of other
> > artwork as needed (within the licensing and guidelines, of course).
>
> We already have to duplicate any artwork in fedora-logos that includes
> the logotype, etc. for generic-logos; what you're saying is that
> fedora-remix-logos would be a separate package, and users of it would
> still need generic-logos?

So, here's how it works:

We're making a Fedora Remix logo. It will come in several, pretty
colors, but it will be the same logo. This logo will not have a
background color, instead, it will have a transparent background. This
logo (in its many color incarnations) will be approved for use in
accordance with the Fedora Secondary Trademark Guidelines.

So, lets say I decide to make a spin of Fedora that is all about
Dinosaurs. I've customized the background, images, and added Dinosaur
specific programs. I've looked through the Fedora Secondary Trademark
Guidelines and confirmed that I am permitted to use the Fedora Remix
logo without having to get any special permission from Fedora. I then
call my spin "Dinosaur Linux: A Fedora Remix". I make custom images for
Dinosaur Linux, upon which I can paste one of the Fedora Remix logos
from the fedora-remix-logos package. I can't use any of the logos in
fedora-logos package because I'm not an approved Fedora spin, but I
could use the generic-logos replacement if I wanted to.

It is possible that someone's spin may not meet the criteria to use the
Fedora Remix mark, so we can't just put these new logos into
generic-logos.

Does that make sense?

~spot