Request for Trademark Approval (Fedora AOS Spin)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 22:07:39 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 14:39 -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 6:17 AM, Bryan Kearney <bkearney at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> So.. back to the original request, and proposed follow up suggestion [1].
> >> Are folks comfortable with the follow up? It seems to provide the best of
> >> both worlds for F10,and allows for some time to debate it since we have to
> >> re-apply for F11.
> >
> > I personally have no problem with your suggestion..for now.  I would
> > suspect that if you re-proposed the kickstart with selinux included
> > for trademark approval, that should satisfy the board members who have
> > a problem with selinux being removed.
> >
> > And then if the Spin SIG can organize the kickstart pool to include a
> > separate contrib space for kickstart files for kickstarts which use
> > the generic logos in place of the fedora marks...you can get the other
> > version of the kickstart into that contrib space.
>

> So, to be clear, this is an explicit "Fedora Requires SELinux enabled".
> Correct?

Thus far in our TM approval processes, we've been considering (1)
whether the spin is appropriate to fill a community need, (2) whether it
has been judged technically on par by the Spins group, and (3) whether
it uses only Fedora software.  IIRC, in general the Board's intent has
always been to require that official Fedora spins don't radically change
the Fedora experience, but as Bryan and others have noted, that's quite
a limiter overall.

If there are explicit requirements for what we absolutely expect from a
spin, I think Board members should be communicating them here clearly
for discussion.  The only thing we've heard so far is that a few Board
members think SELinux is one of a list of requirements for TM approval.
There's no telling thus far how long that list is for some people.  If
we want spins to be relevant, we should take into account sectors like
appliance building, Sugar, and other yet-to-emerge applications if
possible.

--
Paul W. Frields