Fedora 10 Beta Release Planning Meeting

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 23 00:46:41 UTC 2008

Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-09-20 at 03:10 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>> I am expressing a concern about a meeting held and organized in secret
>
> I think people are catching on the word 'secret'.  It refers to
> something intentionally concealed from others view.  That was decidedly
> not the case here.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/secret

"revealed only to the initiated" pretty much defines what has happened
here.

"secret" is not a cuss word either. Sometimes you do have to keep things
a secret intentionally even in a otherwise open project and as long as
the reasons are known or well understood, it is perfectly fine. The
problem is specifically because it is unintentional. Instead of hanging
on to particular words, the meaning is more clearer when read in context
as part of the whole message.

> Can we agree that it would be a Good Thing if John made a wider
> announcement about future release planning meetings on this list, with
> expected attendees and agenda listed?

That's all what I asked.

> I reckon it was just a simple oversight, not any secrecy :), and afaic
> fixing it is simple, and the whole of this thread need not take so long
> because of secret desires to secrete secrets.

People's complete refusal so far to even accept that there has been an
oversight and that they would take steps to fix it, is completely
disappointing. That worries me even more than this relatively minor
issue. If acknowledged, it is indeed a simple thing to fix and the
thread would have ended long back.

Rahul