Planning Post F10 Elections

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Wed Sep 24 18:22:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 01:17:17AM +1200, Nigel Jones wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> With the last slip of the Fedora 10 release I've noticed we are getting
> dangerously close to Christmas to hold the usual round of post election
> votes, from what I can tell the following are on the cards:
>
> * FAmSCo (Ambassadors)
> * Fedora Board
> * Fedora 11 Release Name
> * FESCo (Engineering)
> * FLSCo (Translation)
>
> It's all technically a matter of timing, there is technically no reason
> why all (or majority) of those votes can't be held at the exact same
> time, it might be considered beneficial to hold FAmSCo, FESCo, and FLSCo
> elections at the same time for instance.

I like the idea of multiple elections at the same time.  In my
experience, such increases voter turnout (there's more to gain/lose at
one time), while decreasing voter burnout ("another election?  didn't
I just do that last week?").

> It'd appear problems could arise in cases where someone may wish to
> stand for both *SCo and Board simultaneously and only accept one
> nomination.
>
> Now, I'd assume that this situation would be fairly rare, and in these
> cases we could have the situation where a candidate says "If I get both
> nominations, I'll only accept the one for X", my question is, is this
> acceptable to _you_.

To me, yes.

> >From an administration POV, it'd be best if that's the case there is at
> least a day or so between the *SCo and Board elections (time for
> announcements etc to be made), on the other hand, if the above is
> suitable, they could all be held on the same time period.

I'd say do it all at once.

> >From a schedule POV here it is at the moment.
>
> Based on Jesse's e-mail to fedora-devel-announce
> (https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2008-September/msg00015.html) if the slip is approved by FESCo, Fedora 10 will be released on 25 November.
>
> This means the next logical dates to hold an election would be between
> 30th November (Sunday) and 17th December (Wednesday - 8 days before
> Christmas).  This is just over 2 weeks, assuming that F10 doesn't slip
> again.  The other option is holding them over the New Year, however,
> remember that people in the Southern Hemisphere typically have a large
> Summer holiday period up until Feb.

If the release dates hold (and I hope they do), allowing the election
to run including the weekend of FUDCon would be useful too - let
people undecided but in attendance be able to talk to people
face-to-face.

Avoiding the holidays as much as possible is "a good thing".  To many
distractions from our favorite passtime to remember to actually vote.

-Matt