Downstream remix announcements

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 12:47:46 UTC 2008

The upcoming secondary mark makes it possible for many downstream
Fedora remix projects to drive interest in Fedora as the upstream and
therefore they should be encouraged.  We want to encourage remixes of
Fedora to help spread free software and awareness of the project,
which is why I embarked several months ago on a project to reform our
trademark guidelines.  We also need to consider remixes in the context
of Fedora's mission of 100% free software, and any liabliity issues
for the Fedora Project and our primary sponsor, Red Hat.

I've asked the Board to see whether any sort of policy is needed on
downstream Fedora remix project announcements in official Fedora
channels like the low-traffic announce lists.  As always we encourage
community input and participation in the discussion.