PackageKit Codeina replacement and Fluendo

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 20:47:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:01:02PM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Jon Stanley
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2008-March/msg00111.html
>
> That vote was prior to the existence of the rpm implementation we have
> now, which allows for a vendor neutral approach. The vote was done
> when we were considering whether or not to pull Codeina completely
> from F9.  In April we voted to revert back to F8's situation,
> nullifying that particular vote from March.
>
> You need to read all the minutes from march forward... Codeina has
> been a nearly perpetual topic.  You may need to also read fab
> discussions and possibly one or more public meeting logs from March
> onward as well to get full context as to where we are now.  In fact,
> we all (Board members included) may need to refresh how we got here
> now that we have the new rpm implementation in hand because it differs
> from how codeina did things.
>
> Even if Jesse is right, and there was an explicit prior vote, after
> the April vote to revert to F8's status quo for F9, the Board may need
> to reaffirm that it will not be singling out a preferred vendor in PK
> fallback dialogs that we have now for the F10 timeframe.

After having exchanged some email with the developers and Spot, I can
tell you this is the case -- that PK does not single out any preferred
vendors.  It will be up to any third party repository to (1) build
their packages against the newer rpm bits, and (2) provide an
appropriate *-release package or other route to a working yum repo
definition.

> It's also not clear to me that Fluendo's webshop implementation has
> been updated to work with the new rpm based approach.  if it hasn't
> this issue may be moot.

It may not be, but they will have the exact same chance as any other
third party to offer software through a repository.  The bits in
Fedora will not send users anywhere, including there, preferentially.