Re: website mockups, what is fedora?

Máirín Duffy wrote:
On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 11:44 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
I guess it's just many (including myself) failed to see any evidence or justification for the claims of "confused/scared new users" and the current greatly simplified design choice. And... because the board says so, continues to not be all that satisfying.

You say "failed" - does that mean it is no longer the case?

Sorry, "fail".

Do you think the current page is acceptable and is something we should
stick with?

I suck, not that I have concrete suggestions...but, the main thing to
improve (somehow): make clearer ways to discover other (non-default) spins

I can speak quite directly to more choices = confused/scared users from
my experience as a UI designer generally.

Of course.  One must also be careful to not take the "less choice"
mantra too far (yes, that is possible too).  There's value judgement
inherent to even offer a choice.  Sometimes it is worth it, sometimes not.

crazy-talk-thinking-out-loud rhetorical: What would it take to justify offering a spin choice, that, say, included kde? A box of strawberries, X% userbase, a project/sig with metric Y of success, a pony, all of the above? maybe nothing. a board mandating it?

I've ordered parts for a portable usability lab (thanks to Spot), and
they've started coming in. The main priority for the lab to start is to
test Fedora Community, but I think it would also smart to run the
designs for www.fpo / get.fpo through several tests. The upcoming
Toronto FUDcon is going to be a great opportunity to run some tests on
it as well I think.

Woo.  Need to find myself a way up there.

-- Rex