website mockups, what is fedora?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 18:36:56 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 01:22:48PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 12:03 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:

> > > I try not to be an active desktop-proponent but I do like to support
> > > fairness.  To make the spin page viable getting to it has to be a lot
> > > easier.  When confronted with this:
> > >

> > > +=================================+
> > > |                                 |
> > > |      DOWNLOAD FEDORA NOW!       |
> > > |                                 |
> > > +=================================+
> > >
> > > (more download options)
> > >

> > > There's not any incentive to visit the spins page.  If we expect the
> > > spins page to be a showcase of talent, then we have to drive people to
> > > visit the spins page to see that talent.  Otherwise the talent will
> > > spend its time doing more important things.
> > >

> > I'll defer that to the mo'ster.  But I think the idea is that advanced
> > users will somehow be compelled to click on the advanced link (hopefully
> > Mo's magic can make this happen)
>
> That snippet above is from the mockup for the front page of
> www.fedoraproject.org, a page which today has no download button.
>
> The main download page has an additional much larger section "Other
> download options" to the right of the panda:
>
> http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/page2.png

This is the page that should be compared apples-to-apples with the
current get-fedora page.  The front page is incidental to this
discussion because we're trying to actually have *some page actually
worth looking at* for people new to Fedora.  The get-fedora page
continues to be the main landing site for downloads listed in our
release announcements and elsewhere.

> These pages are also not the only exposure I intend the spins pages to
> get. For example, for the www.fpo design we have conceptualized a lot
> more rotating, static content driven little widgets that could be used
> for marketing different aspects of fedora:
>
> http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/page1.png
>
> We could absolutely have a spins-centric content block that serves as a
> promo for the spins site and maybe even cycles through highlighting
> different popular spins. We could also have a small graphical banner on
> the main download page to drive people towards it. Something like, "More
> flavors of Fedora"
>
> Don't forget we are also in the process of trying to get Fedora Insight
> up and running, which I think is another great opportunity to promote
> KDE and other spins and drive more traffic to the spins site.

Overall, the exposure for spins is going to increase by leaps and
bounds over where it stands right now.  We obviously need to do better
than a torrent listing and I defy anyone to defend that current page
against the brilliant new mockups for both spins.fp.o and the separate
pages fully populated with information from the communities
responsible for them:

http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/spins-directory.6.png
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/temp/woot/spins-electronicslab.svg

> > > Equally, how do we measure success?  If a higher percentage of people
> > > download a non-default spin?
>
> The goal here isn't to drive downloads of non-default spins. The goal
> here is to get more people downloading FEDORA, period. I would measure
> success, then, as being a greater number of total downloads, not just
> for spins because again the goal is to not drive spins downloads up.
>
> I know our number of downloads increases every release. Does anyone have
> the statistics-fu to figure out, based on current trends, how much we
> should *expect* it to increase to, and then we could consider this
> project a success if we drive downloads to be higher than we were
> expecting them to grow to?
> > >

> > You've peaked my metric curiosities.  I'll come up with a couple of
> > metrics to measure and we'll discuss how accurate they'd be at measuring
> > success.  Though I'd say right now if the ratio of Gnome : KDE downloads
> > is similar I'd say at the very least we've not failed.
>
> Again, GNOME vs. KDE is a non-issue. We want to drive TOTAL Fedora
> downloads up, irregardless of what desktop, arch, dvd vs livemedia, etc
> etc etc is involved.
>
> However, we do NOT want to do to this at the expense of other spins. So
> we could also track KDE downloads respective to what we were expecting
> to make sure we are not driving them down. If they are at least what we
> have expected then we have not screwed up. (My guess/hope is that people
> who knew to click on the KDE banner on the site as it is now will be
> just as capable as clicking the link in the 'Other Downloads' section
> that very specifically calls out KDE. But we won't know for sure until
> we try it. :) )
>
> So I think our metrics for success should be:
>
> 1) Total downloads of Fedora increase to well above the number we were
> expecting based on downloads for the previous releases over time.
>
> 2) Total downloads of the KDE spin are at least the number we are
> expecting based on past download trends over time.
>
> AND as has been pointed out, if we fail on either or both of those
> metrics, the design changes. I refuse to fight for a design that doesn't
> achieve the goals it was set out to achieve.
>
> Does this make sense?

It generally does to me.