website mockups, what is fedora?

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Aug 21 18:53:02 UTC 2009

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> On 08/21/2009 08:29 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> >> One can still offer options, but have a choice pre-selected by default,
> >> akin to how some other distros are doing.
> >
> > I think one of the main misunderstandings/miscommunications about this
> > redesign is why we are doing it. The goals of this redesign, from my
> > understanding, is:
> >
> > 1) To grow adoption of Fedora by new prospective users
> >
> > 2) To grow community involvement in Fedora by growing the base of users
> > from which we can recruit community members.
> >
> > Let me remind you of one more goal I think we *all* share (and as sad as
> > it may be, is certainly one of my main goals in life):
> >
> > 3) To grow the general acceptance and usage of free & open source
> > software.
> >

> Okay, so the first question is:  Fedora Board, are these the goals
> you've handed off to the design team?  I don't see them listed on:
>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Website_redesign_2009
>
> Goals seem pretty important.  More important than the target audience
> even.  Those should be written down.

I think the specific goal(s) we're looking for with this discusion is
entirely based around simplifying the get-fedora page.  But to do that we
realized we needed to beef up the spins page as to not sweep other spins
under the rug.

> The second question is how this interacts with the target audience.  For
> instance, do we want to "grow prospective users" even if they don't fall
> into the target audience of the page?  Are those people of greater,
> lesser, or the same value to us as the target audience?
>
> If we decide that these are our goals, that allows us to start raising
> questions based upon the goals -- for instance, if "growing the
> community that we can recruit" from is a goal, maybe we want to be
> promoting less popular spins on get-fedora so that we can increase the
> developers of those spins.

I think these other goals are always worth discussion but out of scope for
simplifying the get-fedora page (at least for now).  Time is tight and
some fruit is hanging lower then the others.

	-Mike