website mockups, what is fedora?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Aug 23 15:13:48 UTC 2009

On 08/23/2009 08:25 PM, Thomas Janssen wrote:
> 2009/8/21 Rahul Sundaram
>> On 08/21/2009 08:07 PM, Rex Dieter wrote:
>>> But let's not get muddled in details.
>>>
>>> Let me be brutally honest:  withholding choice and options here and/or
>>> diminishing kde's visibility *will* disenfranchise a lot of people.
>>> We'll lose out PR-wise big time, especially in light of opensuse's
>>> recent work that is largely perceived as doing right by the community.
>>>
>>> Is that a price the board is willing to pay?
>>
>> Can't speak for the board but what opensuse did was go from trying to
>> satisfy everybody (FAIL) to picking a default (right model). That
>> actually seems to validate what Fedora is doing. The default is
>> different because the community is different. Think about it.
>
> Erm.. what openSUSE did was, leave everything as it is, but changed to
> KDE as the default DE on the DVD. Means if you leave the installer at
> the defaults, you get the KDE desktop instead of the GNOME one.

How does this contradict anything I said? They simply didn't have any
defaults before, for the past few releases and forced users to pick a
desktop environment justifying it as "pro choice and pro freedom". Now
they have realized that trying to satisfy everybody is a path to failure
and picked what their community wanted as the default.  Fedora has
always had a default. Fedora got it right.

Rahul