The current Trademark License Agreement is unacceptable

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 18:51:42 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 02:45:41PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Tom "spot" Callaway<tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On 08/28/2009 02:15 PM, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> >> Exactly how does our capability of enforcing the trademark to ONE BAD site change,
> >> depending on 99 other sites which either have a signed agreement or
> >> not?
> >
> > IANAL, so please keep that in mind. I'm sure that Luis or Pam will
> > correct me if I am incorrect. :)
> >
> > My understanding is that the holder of registered trademarks have to
> > "enforce the registration in the event of infringement" or they will
> > lose the trademark. Basically, you have to be constantly vigilant or you
> > are putting your trademark at serious risk.
>
> This is essentially correct. Close enough for our purposes at this
> time, at any rate. :)

And it's worth pointing out here, as at least some current and former
Board members are aware, that Red Hat Legal continues to spend a
significant amount of time actually fighting off "bad guys" who are
trying to use the Fedora trademarks in an unpleasant or sometimes
actually malicious manner.  Thus far, to my knowledge, none of those
people are Fedora community members.  I would expect that we all as
Fedora "friends" acknowledge that we don't personally want to eat,
dive, or pee in the proverbial pool. :-)