Red Hat Comments on License Agreement

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Fri Aug 28 20:34:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Pamela Chestek<pchestek at redhat.com> wrote:
> Let me introduce myself. My name is Pam Chestek and I am the in-house Red
> Hat lawyer with the primary responsibility for trademarks company-wide. I
> wrote the original license and I am the person advising Fedora on it.
>
> First and foremost, let me say that Red Hat hugely values the Fedora
> community and the Fedora Project. It's important for you to know that when I
> do work on behalf of Fedora, my only responsibility is to do what's best for
> Fedora. The agreement is intended to protect the collective interest of the
> Fedora Project and community as a whole. You may not like how the agreement
> affects you as an individual, and you may disagree that the decisions
> accomplish the goal. But Red Hat has no hidden agenda and the only
> consideration when making decisions is Fedora's best interest.
>
> The feedback on the license has been invaluable and I thank everyone for
> their thoughtful review and input. A number of issues have been raised and
> I'll try to cover them all.
>
> First, on the translation. I did not provide a translation because for the
> most part you are reading the English version correctly. There are only a
> few places where I think there might be a misunderstanding, but they are
> only minor. So a German translation would not have solved the problem and
> would have added more problems, since there would be more discrepancies
> introduced by adding a second version. It makes sense to me to work out the
> issues in English without confusing things by adding another language.
>
> On to the issues in the agreement itself. One major sticking point is
> termination. There were three bases for termination in the original
> agreement, 3(a) for convenience, 3(b) for material breach, and 3(c) if there
> is a lawsuit. The purpose of Paragraph 3(a) was to give Fedora flexibility
> in what it does. For example, if the Fedora community decided that the
> “Fedora” name didn't appropriately represent the project anymore and wanted
> to change it, all the licenses could be terminated and new ones granted for
> the new name. Because this has been so controversial, though, we can forgo
> the flexibility and eliminate this basis for termination.
>
> I don't think that 3(b) and 3(c) should be too controversial. I believe
> everyone agrees it's reasonable to terminate the license if one of the
> parties isn't meeting their responsibilities under the contract. I want to
> point out that the termination is not for any breach, but only for
> “material” breach, which I'll talk about below.
>
> 3(c) is there because if there's a lawsuit, there must be a way to make
> immediate changes to avoid further damages. So, for example, if a licensee
> was sued for trademark infringement for its use of Fedora (a situation where
> Red Hat indemnifies the licensee), it might be reasonable to have the web
> site stop using the Fedora trademark to prevent further liability, so
> terminating the license would be an appropriate action.

> [...]

So I don't have a stake in the underlying conversation, but it's times
like this that I am reminded how awesome the free software/open source
community is, and even more so how companies within that community who
grok open source.
Just days ago I marvelled at how Mo noted that there was a problem
with playing certain video files within gstreamer - and within hours
there was a bug filed, a temporary workaround, and someone within
gstreamer committed a fix. Despite how awesome that is, this kind of
solution happens all the time in the community.
Now fast forward to today, and we have a 'Senior IP Attorney' at a
major company communicating directly with community members, and
working to address concerns of community. That is awesome!!! I am
impressed every time I see Richard Fontana, and more recently Pamela
Chestek showing up on Fedora mailing lists, and specifically because
they are spending the time to address concerns of the community. You
guys are to be commended for this as is RHT for letting you do this.