ambassadors "conflict of interest"

Michael Tiemann tiemann at redhat.com
Mon Dec 7 13:41:21 UTC 2009

Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> Please accept my apologies if this is not the proper place to ask.
>
> I've never read anything against this, so I'm wondering if it was ever
> brought up at all.
>
> Are Fedora ambassadors allowed to also be <put your alternate distro
> name here> ambassadors?

I think it's problematic.  I think that Fedora ambassadors should
high-value, trusted opinion-leaders, and should embody the energy and
excitement of the Fedora project.  Somebody who tries to act as a higher
authority of why one would want to use Distribution X or Y for a given
situation, instead of encouraging people outside the community or inside
of it to make Fedora the best distribution for the task in question, are
not being true ambassadors.

I see no conflict whatsoever for somebody to be both a Fedora Ambassador
and also an ambassador for GNOME or KDE or Emacs or PostgreSQL or MySQL,
etc.  But I think that somebody who has a fistful of distribution
ambassadorships isn't providing the kind of differentiated boost to
Fedora that I'd expect to come from a Fedora Ambassador.

GPG Key: F0AD 3368 D24A 56CD A2AD  6A12 CAB3 2E89 EA0A C0E4

The structure of world peace cannot be the work of one man, or one
party, or one nation...it must be a peace which rests on the cooperative
effort of the whole world. -- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Part of the tragedy is of the artist is that there is no real goal in
achieving what you are naturally good at. The real satisfaction lies in
the things you accomplish by practice and effort.
  -- Joris van den Berg, commenting on the death of H. Cartier Bresson

Dream so big you can share -- me