Re: ambassadors "conflict of interest"

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Paul Frields <stickster gmail com> wrote:

> I have to agree with Michael Tiemann about this.
>
> The Fedora Project is not just "an example of a free software
> project."  The Fedora Project also embodies a specific set of core
> values that are not only different from some other projects, but
> sometimes even incompatible. It's impossible to believe
> whole-heartedly in two mutually incompatible things.
>
> So to some extent, doing other promotional work as a Fedora Ambassador
> would probably depend on that compatibility -- kind of like
> compatibility in free software licensing. For instance, promoting an
> upstream that Fedora ships would seem to me to be compatible.
> Promoting a different project that doesn't share our values doesn't
> seem workable to me.
>
> I always try to keep in mind that being a Fedora Ambassador is neither
> a fan club, nor a merit badge. It's a position of trust used to spread
> the word about how our Project and its values and methods work, and to
> encourage other people to get involved in their own way. I'm all for
> people using that position to work with other groups to establish
> better, more sustainable practices for FOSS, but I don't think you can
> do that wearing a different philosophy for whichever group you happen
> to be representing at the time.

Thanks Paul (and all others) for your clearly written point of view on
the topic.

I also happen to share this opinion, but of course I'm sure there
could be cases of very valuable Ambassadors with extensive experience
with other distros.

So, it is correct to assume we don't want nor need to enforce any
specific policy?

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com