Planet material

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Tue Dec 8 08:35:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Luis Villa <luis.villa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Darren VanBuren <onekopaka at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I know what I do, is I just have a fedora category on my blog, and so
>> Planet shows only those posts in said category.
>
> This is what lots of (most?) Mozilla folks do for their planet, and I
> personally think it makes for a dry, personality-free planet- fine for
> technical content but not giving any sense of there being a real
> community of real people and personalities.

I'm also a supporter for planets that aren't only technical but have a
more personal atmosphere. We could write down some advices (if you
blog too much about non-Fedora bits, consider narrowing your planet
feed, same if you're a non-english speaker, etc).

> That said, they still moderate who gets on their planet in the first
> place, so perhaps their signal-noise is different than fedora's (which
> I admit I don't read very regularly.)

In general, I hear more bad comments about Planet Fedora than good
ones. People complain there should be more technical posts which
aren't hidden in a sea of non-technical ones, and the same about
English posts. And this has a chicken-n-egg effect too: Fewer tech
people read planet, and aren't encouraged to write a long and
insightful blog post, etc...

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos