Planet material

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 14:22:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 07:08:56AM -0500, Michael Tiemann wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
> >Hi Jon,
> >
> >William Jon McCann wrote:
> >>I think we'd be a little put off if mailing lists, wikis, bugs, or IRC
> >>conversations were conducted in many languages at the same time.  For
> >>these we've adopted a lingua franca.  I propose we do the same for the
> >>"default" Fedora Planet feed.
> >
> >Many multilingual posters post both in their native tongue and
> >also provide an English translation on the bottom. What do you
> >think about those posts and their appropriateness for the main
> >planet feed?
> I think they rock!  I think they shout from the rooftops that this
> is an international community, and an inclusive one, too.

I love the fact that we have people conversing about Fedora on their
blogs from around the world.  In fact, my bet is that we're missing a
big chunk of conversation going on internationally, and that not
everyone involved is including their material in our feed.

But at the same time, I have to acknowledge that (sadly) I'm not much
of a polyglot other than some German -- our German friends know my
limitations pretty well :-) -- so I can't read or respond to most of
these posts in any effective way.  Machine translation isn't usually
helpful especially when reading nuances.

I would love to be able to select languages and topics for what I see
on the Planet, with the default being all topics for the lingua franca
only.  I don't know how one achieves this with the planet software we
use; perhaps it comes down to having some sort of app wrapping around
the planet to provide these features.