power savings: a goal of the fedora project

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 02:07:48 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 20:51 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
>  Hi,
> I'd like to suggest that saving power be a goal of the fedora project in
> its development of the fedora linux distribution. If there are settings
> we can set which will not deeply and adversely impact users but will
> conserve energy then should set them.
>
> I'd like to hear from others on this subject.

Purely from a "what's it do for me?" POV, saving power makes batteries
last longer, which improves the user experience.

From a world POV saving power reduces the consumption of energy which is
also a good thing.

In the end I still feel it should be a maintainer choice, as with almost
everything we do, but yes, I feel that from a project level we should
prefer to save power where we can.and work toward more power savings
work.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!