"Fedora" in a domain name

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 9 15:56:47 UTC 2009

Scott Williams wrote:

> Rahul,
>
> That is a very good point.  In the same, I see no compelling reason for
> Fedora to hold the domain.  We will meet all the criteria in
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/TrademarkGuidelines#Web_sites.  This
> will be a site put on by community members for the benefit of the Fedora
> community, and since Fedora would have the ability to request a takedown
> for trademark violation if those guidelines are no longer met, then
> Fedora should have nothing to fear with another party holding the domain.

It isn't fear. It is about what is convenient from a legal and community
perspective. It would merely be easier if we avoid round trips to Red
Hat Legal since Red Hat doesn't have a huge legal team and there is
usually a large pile of issues including Fedora ones (thanks Spot!). If
you really want a separate domain, that is certainly a choice for you to
make. It is all explained in

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Local_community_domains

However note that the trademark guidelines you are referring to as well
as the page above is still a draft and needs vetting from Red Hat Legal.

Rahul