Xuropa offers FEL free exhibition space

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Thu Jan 15 19:09:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 08:08:10AM -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 7:55 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think that's a fine and prudent idea, absolutely.  The most
> > important objective for Fedora, in this case, is that the FEL and
> > Fedora are visible and relevant for EDA audiences worldwide, and that
> > Chitlesh and other FEL and Fedora contributors are empowered to
> > provide those resources to interested individuals and groups
> > effectively, without substantial drain on Xuropa's resources.
>
> Paul,
>
> If Xuropa is able to handle the accounting of donation collection and
> dispersement to specific upstream FEL related project development..or
> even to support Chitlesh directly to do FEL integration work would
> that be acceptable without any of the money coming into the Fedora
> project, would that be acceptable?  The Board could come to an
> agreement with Xuropa as to the reporting and dispersement
> requirements Xuropa would need to do to keep the trademark access.
>
> I get the sense that Xuropa might be a better steward for donations
> targeted to further open EDA development than Fedora could be as they
> are an entity in the technical area that FEL targets.  And if that's
> the case, just letting Xuropa manage the flow of donations to upstream
> projects may make some sense.

I don't know that Xuropa would need a trademark license from us to do
so.

* Xuropa hosts FEL in their online lab, and raises the visibility of
  Fedora and FEL.  No license needed.

* Xuropa solicits donations for themselves (not saying they're
  collecting for Fedora, or that they might contribute some amount
  back to Fedora).  No license needed.

* Xuropa then chooses to contribute (time or $$ or resources) directly
  to the development of FEL.  Perhaps they make CDs or pay Chitlesh
  somehow.  No license needed.

* Xuropa then chooses to contribute $$ to the Fedora Project itself in
  some way.  Fedora EMEA is our best conduit for that, or Xuropa could
  be asked to pay for specific items at an event (e.g. the bar tab)
  w/o flowing the money through Red Hat or Fedora EMEA at all.

Need it be more complicated than this?

Thanks,
Matt