Of test spins and trademarks

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 20:01:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 03:35:39AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 07/15/2009 03:11 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > I'd like some clarification from the board if possible.
> > I'll use an example of the Xfce spin here, but this would apply to any
> > of the approved spins.
> >
> > - The Xfce Spin was approved by the board to use the Fedora trademark a
> >   while ago. So it can use fedora-logos and is an 'official' spin.
> >
> > - If I make a rawhide Xfce spin right now with current rawhide packages
> >   that seems to fall under:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines#Distributing_Fedora_software_2
> >
> > Which says:
> >
> > "use of the Fedora Trademarks is approved by the Fedora Board."
>
> Since I brought this up to Kevin Fenzi, let me add a concerns I have here:
>
> Just in case, a rawhide snapshot of a spin is actually considered
> pre-approved, What if someone takes Fedora KDE Spin kickstart file, adds
> the updates repo or worse the rawhide repo and release it as Fedora KDE
> Spin?  Rawhide can be quite broken.

I would think that adding the rawhide repo to a trademark-approved
spin would qualify as a major change.

> One more related use case:
>
> Does the test day images released by the QA team covered by the current
> trademark guidelines.

It doesn't make sense to me to worry about trademark approval for
images that are only going to be in use for a very short time.  If
their survivability is a concern, I'll ask for QA to ensure they are
removed regularly after their usefulness has expired.