Re: Fedora Board Recap 2009-07-16 UTC 1600

On 07/17/2009 06:43 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> ** Would ELC's request go against or detract from meeting Fedora's objectives?

This is perhaps the key question to this whole conversation and I think
it is important to note here that the question on Fedora's audience
seems still open to the board.

There are atleast two users here claiming that it doesn't fit the Fedora
objectives and I think that is to a good extend, true.

The objectives however are not something written in stone nor is the
community around Fedora. The amount of occasions a similar idea or
proposal has been put forward suggests there there is definitely
community interest in this. I am not sure whether there is enough of a
interest in people volunteering to drive this proposal forward. There
are only a very small number of people signed up at

I did not because it benefits me in any way but because I really do want
to understand what the work actually is over a period of time and see
for myself if the cost is worth the benefit. I suggest that the board
approve the infrastructure request and let the community succeed or fail
on its own goals rather than refuse to provide infrastructure and
therefore adding a very substantial barrier to entry for interested
contributors. The rise in interest in EPEL after the move to Koji and
Bodhi suggests that even a different infrastructure is a major barrier
even for seasoned contributors. If it was just pushing more updates in a
existing branch and if users can continue getting updates for a longer
time without doing anything at all, this proposal has a better chance of