Requesting a Clear ELC Proposal

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Tue Jul 21 16:17:03 UTC 2009

I agree with Dimitris that we should be open to considering new ways of
doing things and that progress and innovation often happen by getting
out of our comfort zones.  I also think that the board should be
presented with enough information to make an informed decision.  An
informed decision requires specifics beyond "would the board be opposed
to a particular 'idea'?"

For me I keep coming back wanting to know exactly what it is that the
board is deciding and what information we are using to make that
decision.  I think
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Extended_Life_Cycle is a good
start, but the presentation format does not fit the context of the
request (which too me is another problem)
   --https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/180
The board does not review other feature pages that are not deemed
features.  Why has the board been asked to review this one?  This
information should be in the ticket when it comes to the board in the
future.

For your best shot at success (or at least to get my vote) I would
suggest the following:

o Create a formal proposal (discard the feature page format as it is
confusing and doesn't work for this purpose)
   --the mailing list threads are already tangled and forming
conclusions from them is difficult
   --In other words, create the best situation you can for the board to
say "yes."
o In the proposal:
   a) be as specific as possible.  This doesn't help the board make a
decision: "we seek to extend Fedora's life cycle with a yet to be
determined additional period of time" (from the current summary)
   b) Bullet point the *problems* you believe need to be solved
   c) Bullet point the *reasons* those problems need to be solved
   d) Explain how you will *solve* those problems
   e) Explain the *risks* involved with the proposed solutions
   f) Explain how you will *mitigate* those risks or what the
contingency plans will be
   g) Explain how the problems that need to be solved are relevant to
Fedora's mission and objectives
   h) Time line for implementing the proposal
   i) Time line for evaluating the effectiveness of the implementation
to determine if it should be continued or canceled.

A lot of this information can be extracted from the feature page and is
also probably in many of the email threads.  I guess what I'm trying to
say here is that I think this request has a much better chance of being
fairly heard and considered if it can be presented in clear straight
forward manner.  Expecting people to remember all of the back and forth
of all the mail threads (on this and other lists), combined with a
feature page that isn't a feature page is possibly too much.

John