Follow-up on Extended Life Cycle

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Wed Jul 22 13:41:58 UTC 2009

On 07/21/2009 06:31 PM, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 7:20 PM, Jesse Keating<jkeating at redhat.com>  wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 17:14 +0300, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
>>> Is it necessary to go all-or-nothing,
>> In my opinion yes. Â What's on the DVD vs not is largely arbitrary, and
>> really doesn't mean anything to a user 13 months after they've done the
>> install.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Again take a look at the security definitions of what Critical means,
>> and apply that to the package sets within Fedora. Â It's not going to be
>> as many updates as people seem to think.
>
> Jeroen, do you have a picture on how many packages these will be? Any
> other measurable metrics about the added "cost" for Fedora could help
> dissolve any doubts about the overhead imposed.

Like I said before, I anticipate ~250 security updates in 6 months for a
current release given the statistics of Fedora 10. That is *all*
classifications, if appropriately marked in Bodhi as a security update,
not omitting any other security updates by accident (because some sec
updates are hidden in upgrades).

-- Jeroen