Re: changing content licenses (OPL => CC BY SA)

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 18:58 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> The Docs Team has recently reached consensus to change licenses that
> cover the various full-size guides the team works on, such as the
> Release Notes and the Installation Guide.  Currently the works are
> under the OPL 1.0, and the intention is to switch to the CC BY SA 3.0.

I agree that CC is a much better choice than OPL.

How do we make this relicensing work? I.e., if contributor X agreed that
their content could be used under the OPL, how is it that we can just
take that content and distribute it under a different license? I don't
remember if the CLA has any wording on this. (Obviously the intention of
the licenses is very similar, but nonetheless it seems like a murky
situation. We did have someone withdraw from Fedora and take their toys
with them when we last made a license change on the the wiki, IIRC).

-Chris