requesting a trademark license for our community

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 2 17:41:02 UTC 2009

delhage at gmail.com wrote:

> This is very disturbing to me if it's true. We have here a community
> of people that are being restricted from participating in the global
> Fedora community because of arbitrary US restrictions. I really hope
> that we can find a way to circumvent (yes) these restrictions.

Can Fedora EMEA help here?

Will
> Red Hat try to enforce the trademarks in this case? Will it use it's
> legal powers to try and shutdown fedoraproject.ir? I would like to get
> a public clarification regarding this issue and an explanation how two
> of the four F's, "Freedom" and "Friends" are compatible with this
> policy.

Red Hat is the legal entity behind Fedora and a US based organizations
would have to follow laws even if it believes those are stupid or silly.
I mean, Fedora would love to ignore silly software patents and include
valuable and otherwise perfectly fine free and open source software. We
just cannot in some cases. That is unfortunate but you shouldn't blame
the messenger.

Rahul