requesting a trademark license for our community

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Mon Mar 2 18:59:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 04:12:48PM -0500, Paul Frields wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Mostafa Daneshvar
> > <mostafa.daneshvar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Dear Board;
> > > We, as Iranian community, want your permission to use
> > > "fedoraproject.ir".One of our members registered it without considering
> > > related regulations mentioned in
> > > "http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/".
> > > within these few months this community attracted a lot of users,nearly
> > > 510 registered. According to logs our   website approximately has 5000
> > > pages view each day. Our forum has 5500 posts (up to now).
> > > Considering our efforts within this time, we need your license to
> > > continue our efforts. We need to grant us to use Fedora logo in our
> > > website.
> > >
> > > We should be thankful for your immediate response
> >
> > Thank you for you email -- we're looking into this now, and will get
> > back to you as soon as we can.
>

> As you may know, US federal law currently places sweeping restrictions
> on US citizens' and corporations' ability to transact with certain
> people, organizations, and nations.  The list of embargoed nations
> includes Cuba, Iran, Libya, and North Korea, among others.

I just want to go on record saying that I think this is wrong and I don't
think I'm alone.  I don't disagree with us following our US laws, but I
think those laws are quite broken.

I'm going to (and I'd encourage other US citizens to) contact lawmakers
and let them know what position we've been placed in.  I don't suspect
anything will come from it, but its the best option we have.  Sorry
Mostafa.

	-Mike