Proposal for ML conduct

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Fri May 15 19:27:18 UTC 2009

On 05/15/2009 09:52 AM, Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
> Yes, I'll have a slice of that pie too, thank you. Along with all the
> other attendant rights and privileges, of course.

If the free speech pie is made with good ingredients, everyone will want
it.  If the free speech pie is made with rusty nails, cyanide, motor oil
and battery acid, I'm sure as hell not going to eat it.

> Because I can assure you that I venerate free speech as highly anybody
> on this planet venerates their god or
> their scripture or their prophet, and any attempt to suppress free
> speech is deeply insulting and grossly offensive
> to me on a personal level; I feel violated to the very core of my being
> which seriously hurts my feelings.
>
> Whenever I hear free speech being compromised or restricted, or even
> heavily criticized, I take that as a grave
> personal affront and as a grotesquely insensitive attack on my most
> cherished values.

There are people who feel violated to the very core of their being which
seriously hurts their feelings.  Several people have taken great offense
recently at ML discussions when they have been personally attacked.  A
friend was looking for information on Fedora for some reason, google
pointed her to a thread, and she now has a sour impression of Fedora
based solely on the ML being so vile.  It's one thing to say what you
want, it's another thing to intentionally hurt others and even more so
to intentionally hurt people while the whole world watches.