Re: "What is the Fedora Project?"

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 9:40 AM, inode0 <inode0 gmail com> wrote:

I'm still struggling to understand what sorts of real problems are
made easier to solve by the "What is Fedora?" framework.

Unless a clear mission and purpose is defined, Fedora will just kind
of float along pushed around by whatever currents are strongest at the
moment.  Maybe that sort of philosophy suits you, but I'd rather have
an idea of where we're headed.

Is it in the board's purview to "lead" the project by singling out
technologies it wants to move along over the next few releases?

Yes.  Fedora has limited resources. That means that someone needs to
prioritize the use of those resources.  As a corollary to that it may
mean that some projects/ideas may be denied resources.

to be fair the board has no power to allocate resources. The board has NO
control over, afaict, ANY of the development teams: kernel, desktop, virtualization.

Not sure what difference any of this discussion will make until that weird split of power vs responsibility is resolved.

-sv