Fedora 14 (two releases away folks) Feature proposal

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 19:54:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 14:33 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
> Apropos (in a tangential way) our discussion today. And as a result of
> some irc-discussions:
>
>   Since the board  defines which spin is the default spin then I suggest
> the board Make the kde or xfce spin the default spin for F14.
>
> It won't hurt users upgrading b/c they are just upgrading.
> And users reinstalling are reinstalling.
>
> It makes it clear that the spins process is serious and f'real and it will
> test how well our processes work.

The fallacy here is the implication that any given Fedora spin is
equivalent to an unqualified "Fedora".  Besides that, empirically, this
just isn't true, I think it's detrimental to the project to completely
abdicate content definition to the user.  This isn't just about having
an "I don't care, pick one" button, it's about making sure that the
thing you get when clicking that button is both consistent year to year
and the best experience we can offer.

I have trouble thinking of a way that randomizing the desktop selection
every release would make a user's life better.

- ajax