Re: "What is the Fedora Project?"

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Máirín Duffy wrote:

On 10/15/2009 02:51 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Máirín Duffy wrote:
Sure, and I think you guys have done a good job advocating for that.

No one said we were advocating for it. And I think that's been a source
of misunderstanding. I'm saying, given what our STATED goals are this is
what results.
If we want to change our goals then we should do that.

Oh, okie, sorry for the misunderstanding!

You know what this discussion says to me more than anything else:

Lots of people claim to want fedora, but what they really want is centos.

I thought about this seriously. I tried to imagine myself using CentOS. I don't think it would work for me. I know it seems like I'm asking for a tall order, both stability and the latest technology. But I'm not asking for complete stability. I'm asking for just-enough stability.

Fedora release today:

stability          [=====_______________] orange
latest technology  [====================] green

CentOS (my perception):

stability          [=================___] green-yellow
latest technology  [=======_____________] yellow

What I want:

stability          [==========__________] yellow
latest technology  [================____] green-yellow

Should I be less stubborn about using Fedora? Am I making a mess of this thread? :(

I think the problem is that we'll get yelled at on the other end:

"you're holding fedora back! What happened to latest  and greatest?!"
and
"If people want stability they should go use rhel!"

Like we have gotten whenever the subject of more stability has come up.

-sv