[Ambassadors] French Fedora Ambassadors -- Meeting Minutes

David Barzilay david at projetofedora.org
Wed Aug 2 19:03:42 UTC 2006

Hi Thomas and All!

Some of the shared ideas below might be interesting to you all.

> 2. Local organisation
>
> The future bylaws of the Fedora-France organisation will be discussed as
> soon as the mailing list for french-speaking ambassadors is operational.

I just wanna share my experience from Brazil on this. We ended up
creating the website www.projetofedora.org (Brazilian Portuguese
translation of Fedora Project), which is the main point of contact for
promoting the distro in the country and also where people meet to help
promote Fedora (including its sub-projects i.e. translation, docs,
freemedia, etc).

We didn't go for www.projetofedora.org[.br] because we needed to have a
properly registered NGO in the country, with employees, financials, etc.

So I recommend you check the French laws regarding this matter.

> 3. Local e-shop / marketing material
>
> Work continues and manufacturers will be contacted for the first T-Shirt
> run (about 100 items). Historical FLOSS shop Ikarios seems willing to
> distribute for cheap if the T-Shirts are official accredited Fedora
> material, but have not proposed to make them so far. An integrated
> for-profit partner may be easier to work with.
> Current redhat design was deemed lacking, Fedora designers will be
> consulted to create a new one through polls.

Interesting. In my point of view, the most effective and cost-effective
marketing material has been FC CDs and DVDs. They allow requestors and
friends to try the distro; are replicable; reuseable.

> 4. Fedora Party
>
> A Fedora Party will probably be organised in Paris to celebrate the
> Fedora Core 6 release. This will also be the occasion for attending
> ambassadors to meet in real life.

Cool! Can you please share with us your future plans on that?

> 5. fedora-france.org domain name and wiki
>
> Still awaiting resolution. Possibility of Red Hat hosting still unclear.

If it takes too long to get a reply from Red Hat, I suggest you talk to
FAMSCO in order to host it somewhere else.

As stated above, that's probably easier to accomplish then
fedora-france.org[.fr]

> 6. Translation status
>
> Fedora needs more translators!The next meeting will be held on AUgust,
> 6th at 6.30 pm UTC on #fedora-mktg-fr (freenode)

That's another key point! The approach used in the Brazilian community is:

LOCALIZED SO -> MORE LOCAL USERS -> MORE LOCAL TESTERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
-> BETTER SOFTWARE IN FRENCH

Kinda related to national pride. I'm sure you guys don't have a problem
with that ;)

Best of luck on your endeavours! Bonne chance!

--
David Barzilay
FAMSCO Member