[Ambassadors] Issue about the Realtek 8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernetcard

Moshe Roffe roffe.moshe at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 10:36:41 UTC 2006

Hi Bart,

i thing the problem lies in the removing of the config.h in 2.6.18environment.

if you are working on 2.6.18 environment please make sure, that you will
comment out or remove all
#include <linux/config.h> lines in source core for kernel modules. they are
not needed anymore.
all RPM's or tar.gz file that have such a line, will fail the "make".

get the source RPMS and patch them or remove this line yourself from the
source core, and try to recompile.
the problems lies on ALL drivers with ALL vendors that haven't updated their
drivers to the recent 2.6.18/19 environment

GOOD LUCK,
Roffe Moshe, RHCE
Israel Fedora Amabassador.

On 12/11/06, Bart De Soete <Bart.De.Soete at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since a few days all my pc's are running now on FC 6.
> However, my most recent laptop (an Acer Aspire 9412) contains a Realtek
> 8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernetcard.
> This networkcard was not supported in FC 5 and still isn't in FC 6!
>
> I did some research on the web and contacted a few people who are having
> the same problem.
> Realtek's website provides user with a so called: "linux-driver" in
> tgz-format, but every user that I contacted received the same errors I
> received when compiling the driver.
> On an Italian website, I found an rpm of it, called:
> dkms-r1000-1.04-1.src.rpm.
> However, when trying to install the rpm-package I get the error: "cannot
> installe source packages". (???)
>
> Can someone give me advice or something?
> It's a little bit frustrating, 'cause I was planning my next presentation
> about Fedora on this laptop. And ofcourse: a laptop with FC 6 with no
> internetconnection is not done.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> --
> Bart De Soete,