[Fedora-ambassadors-list] First day at Solutions Linux

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 2 06:30:33 UTC 2006

Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

>On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 11:24 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>>We probably need better packaging guidelines for parallel installation
>>of packages and not just specific to python. Go ahead and initiate the
>>discussion.
>>

>Well, right now we don't really have _any_ packaging guidelines for
>parallel installation of similar packages, but I don't see why following
>the openssl model for libraries and using alternatives for binaries
>wouldn't suffice for the majority of cases.
>
>~spot

We need to document them specifically. Assuming that everyone would know
how openssl is packaged to mimic that model wouldnt work. Might be a
naive question but why not always stick the version number in front of
the packages instead of using compat-* and obsoleting older versions
like we do currently?

--
Rahul