[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Be a critique

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 21 15:37:58 UTC 2006

Pablo Barrera Franco wrote:

> Hi all,
> Being critic....so i have some about technical tips, but as Fedora
> like a bank of test of RHEL its very difficult to split both projects.
>
> Anaconda no more!
> I think that the ananconda installer is out of date. Mandriva
> installer is the best linux installer so far. A resizing module,
> and expert and common user interface is the best option.
>
> How to replace...
> Replace and improve Mandriva Installer and put in Fedora Core 6 Release!

We are unlikely to drop years of work wholesale. Lets be realistic about
things. What would be better is to use the anaconda mailing list and
bugzilla to discuss ideas for enhancements. The current plans are
available at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AnacondaWorkItems.

> No modular control center
> Dont have a control center unified like SuSE or Mandriva is another
> difficulty.

Try out system-config-control in Fedora Extras.

> No internert sharing wizzard with ease of use

System-config-network and Firestarter in Fedora Extras can be used for
this.

> ,
> No Cuztomization of services,

System-config-services.

> , bad Network manager,

You will have to file bugs if you find anything bad. That would be a
good way to provide feedback to the developers on improving it

> no wizzards,

Pretty much all of the graphical tools within Fedora (system-config*,
pirut etc) are intended to provide

> no integrated GUI Firewall (firestarter could be an option)

System-config-securitylevel which is also integrated within Anaconda
provides this functionality

> Up2date? Yum extender? or KLIK!
> Yes, we have klik a MacOS style installer. A synaptic like interface
> with rpm packages is the best option. Yum extender even is not
> official is worst than Synaptic.

Pup provides a updater and Pirut provides package management within
Fedora Core 5. If you would like to integrate Klik go right ahead.

> How to replace
> Leave behing up2date...for ever...

Its not installed by default anymore from Fedora Core 5 and likely to be
dropped in Fedora Core 6.

> Too much cds...too much bleeding edge
> When we make an update from a common workstation we need at least
> 100MB of updates anyway. So, why not release a
> single cd with the most commonly packages and manage the others via
> Internet?
> Ubuntu has more aceptance cause they have a single cd. For some
> countries is too much embarrasing to do this... accesibility
> is the key...
>
> How to replace
> Only one cd is enoguh for an installation. Yum will do the rest of the
> work...

A single CD can be used for a minimal installation. Only 2 CD's  are
required for a desktop installation. Yum isnt as useful as ISO images in
many places. The longer team goal would be a effective reorganization of
the packages so that end users can mix and match any set of packages
while increasing the availability of packages within the ISO images.

> Bluecurve makes me remember Red Hat 9, GNOME or KDE, of both?
> yes is a theme, could not be a valid argument. SimpleKDe is the best
> option for a single cd installer. If some one wants gnome download it
> and run it!

Bluecurve has not been the default theme for Gnome since Fedora Core 3.
Both KDE and GNOME is provided within Fedora Core and other desktop
environments within Fedora Extras.

> Non technical tips
> When we make a critic is not possible to split the Fedora roadmap
> around non technical issues. Strategy for US based countries
> is not the option.

Not sure what you mean here. Red Hat and Fedora Foundation are US based
entities and increasingly a global presence. In every region Fedora is
being distributed the strategies will have to evolve around the local
laws and culture among other things.

What is non intuitive about http://fedoraproject.org/wiki?

> non subdomains for localized Fedora Community (fedoraproject.org/us
> /chile /germany

There are already several domains available. A partial list is available
at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CommunityWebsites. You can contact
Elliot Lee (sopwith At redhat.com) for setting up other sites if you are
interested in that.

> with a centralized CMS system, etc...

This is work in progress. Refer to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/CMS and
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-websites-list/2006-January/msg00091.html

> No book of spread fedora, slides rules, motivation program for ambassador

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Books and
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Presentations. Ambassadors are largely
enthusiastic and self motivated people. We depend on ambassadors to
motivate others and get them interested and involved with Fedora.

> , tools for get
> more people around FOSS.

Use Fedora. That is the biggest tool for you to get everyone with FOSS.

--
Rahul