[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Info

Hornain Frederic Frederic.Hornain at GB.BE
Mon Jan 9 13:11:27 UTC 2006

Dear Rahul,

> It would be helpful if you can detail your ideas behind using Fedora for schools.

Indeed, the next generation of users, managers and so on... are currently at school and they will be the ones who will take the decisions in the futur. Agree ?
However, nearly all of them are using MS Windows for the moment. :(
Ok, I can admit more and more students are using Linux -I am glad ! :) - but the majority of these ones unfortunatly are still running  proprietary OS.
Although it is maybe not the same case in all countries, in France and Belgium it is more and less like that.
Not due to students but mainly due to Edcuation choice, teachers knowledges or preferences, current technologies used in companies, so on so for....

So I am convinced we should invest in schools.
Because, if we can help students, teachers, and educational organistation to work actively with Linux and not only install it  in order to know how it looks like. I pretty sure that we would manage the revolution cause if they have used it during their student life it could be their choice during their active life.

Ok, I agree. It will not be so easy than that cause when you begin your active life, you are not often directly an (IT) manager or the boss.
But if you are more than one who know linux in your first company I am sure you can influence the future choice of your manager.
Anyway, it is better than nothing.
In addition, there is more chance to use linux in their futur company if someone of the team know how to use it.

The ideas behind using Fedora for schools is to create a linux group of students, teachers in each school who interact with the fedora communauty and will learn the benefit of using open source instead of using proprietary systems.

>Is there any preconfigured setup or kickstart profiles?.
Well, I think that we have to start with computers University students.

>What are the current experiences and potential for improvements?
In the next few day, I will  create a wiki page for that.

BTW, sorry for the quick explanation.
Hoping that is clear.
Anyway ,if you have any question, suggestions, or other, feel free to contact me

Best Regards
Fred