[Fedora-ambassadors-list] Fedora-based Distro

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sun Jan 15 06:44:33 UTC 2006

Hi

>.
>
>However, modifying the packages may be tricky. Most of the packages in
>the Fedora Core are GPLed. This means that you can change the package as
>you wish. However, you must release the source code of the new package
>to the public as well.

Slightly incorrect. You only have to distribute the code or make an
offer to distribute code if you distribute binaries to a third party.

>I think this applies to Fedora Core itself (although I'm not sure)...

Within the current trademark guidelines, if you modify Fedora you just
cannot call it Fedora and if you modify specific programs then the
copyright license of those programs apply.

--
Rahul