[Ambassadors] Re: [Fedora-marketing-list] Making installation easy (XFCE as third official desktop?)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 9 18:13:11 UTC 2006

Luke Satin wrote:
> It would be good if user would be able to select additional packages
> from other repositories (including Fedora Extras) during the installation.
> Choosing between GNOME,KDE,XFCE,Enlightenment,Project Looking Glass,etc.
> would be great.

Yes. This is exactly what we have done in Fedora Core 6 installer.

It would be also good if user could
> switch between Compiz(XGL,AIGLX).

Compiz is available in Fedora Core 6 in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/compiz.

> There are thousands packages to choose from - classic menu with software
> categories such as Development,Office,Games would not be very user friendly.

Refer to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/CompsXml. Participate in
fedora-extras list if you have any ideas to improve the organization of
packages.

  you have to use something
> like Macromedia Fireworks which is not available for Linux - the only
> opensource alternative I've found is Xara Xtreme.

Thats good news then. Xara is available in Fedora Extras.
http://fedoraproject.org/extras/5/i386/repodata/repoview/X.group.html

> Next, there should be some kind of checkboxes that will allow you to
> install MP3,Flash,Sun Java,XVID/DIVX support and 3D accelerated
> NVIDIA/ATI drivers directly. During the installation or after the
> first-boot, but it should be automatic and simple. Yes, if you open a
> terminal and execute 'yum install xmms-mp3', you'll get mp3 support, but
> only for XMMS, not for XINE/GSTREAMER. You have to type tens/hundreds of
> commands or manually download non-rpm installers if you want to do
> something more than read e-mails,browse the web and chat in Linux.

See my earlier replies on this on my take on this.

> Microsoft doesn't have very secure and stable operating system, but they
> have made everything user-friendly. Why my Fedora Core Linux can't be
> user-friendly too? There are other distributions which are already
> user-friendly.

Sure. As a developer, the best thing you can do to change this is to
contribute your skills to improving this.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Usability

Rahul