[Ambassadors] Raleigh, we have a problem ...

Michael J. Knox michael at knox.net.nz
Mon Sep 18 06:44:33 UTC 2006

Rahul wrote:
> Michael J. Knox wrote:
>
>> IMHO Fedora shouldn't go out of its way to make adding perfectly legal
>> packages, to its distribution, a black-art, undocumented nightmare for a
>> new user...  Advising users on how to get MP3 support should not be
>> considered a cardinal sin. Heck, Fedora pushing xorg 7.1 was halted
>> as to
>> not break Nvida and Ati driver users! Talk about mixed messages.
>
> The Xorg update was not halted for this reason. Just ask the Xorg
> maintainer if you are not sure. We dont go out of our way to make
> anything a black art either. Lets stop the silly conspiracy theories
> and unfounded claims.

Hi Rahul,

Not a conspiracy theory at all, I was in IRC chatting with Mike Harris
chatting about this subject, I was there reading the fedora-devel@
mailing lists. I am nor blind nor stupid. To state that I am spreading a
"conspiracy theory" is crap. Thanks Rahul. IIRC Mike Harris wanted to
push the xorg 7.1 release. Here, let me quote him:

"Fedora does not support proprietary drivers at all, and never has, nor
has any Red Hat OS that preceded it.  Our OS products are not held
hostage to the release schedule whims of 3rd party proprietary driver
suppliers."

He then went on to say:

"I kindof feel like staying up all night tonight now, and releasing 7.1
for FC5 on Wednesday."

All on the fedora-devel achieves, there for your reviewing pleasure. I
do know that Mike Harris is no longer a RedHat employee, but at the time
of this issue, he was.

However, this is the end result:

(fedora-advisory-board posting made by Max Spevack):

http://lwn.net/Articles/195356/

Basically "The conclusion was that the interests of Fedora users using
proprietary NVidia modules outweigh the interests of other users who
would benefit from this update."[1]

I was also there when everyone was berating Eric S. Raymond for the mere
suggestion of RedHat making it easier for end users to add MP3 and DVD
support. The sheer notation of doing so, left the fedora-devel mailing
looking like a kindergarden play yard (not too mention IRC).Fedora's
attitude towards those that do need 3rd party, non-distributable or
non-free, is doing it damage. I am just telling you how it is out there,
out side your little RedHat office....

Its not a conspiracy when I front up to a LUG and have to answer the
whys? of users not interested in using Fedora and then relay that to the
ambassador list!

Instead of telling me I am spreading "unfounded claims" and "conspiracy
theories" on what I have just relied to you, based on first hand end
user experiences, why don't you make a founded effort to help set the
story straight? Why don't you, as a member of the Fedora Project Board
and a member of the Fedora Ambassador Steering commitee, do something to
help the Fedora advocates actually advocate for their platform of
choice, instead of telling to "stop the silly conspiracy theories" ?

Or is that too much to expect?

Thanks

Michael

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/195351/