[Ambassadors] Raleigh, we have a problem ...

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 01:26:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 21:22 +1200, Michael J. Knox wrote:
> 3) non-free. Yes, I know this is very much a double edge sword for Fedora.
> However, the fact remains, Joe user wants his MP3, DVD, Flash, Java etc.
> Yes, I know Fedora has been doing some very impressive work on gcj and
> gnash etc.. but when the FOSS alternatives are not up to scratch, people
> are left out to dry.
>
> IMHO Fedora shouldn't go out of its way to make adding perfectly legal
> packages, to its distribution, a black-art, undocumented nightmare for a
> new user...  Advising users on how to get MP3 support should not be
> considered a cardinal sin. Heck, Fedora pushing xorg 7.1 was halted as to
> not break Nvida and Ati driver users! Talk about mixed messages.
>
> Fedora does not need to compromise its values in order to help users.
> Fedora should consider helping users instead of restricting.

On the contrary, we *are* trying to help users. For example, the
Documentation Project is currently updating the default Firefox browser
home page (which comes up the first time after installation, or upgrade)
to include a link to the Unofficial Fedora FAQ, which the legal
reviewers told us is not verboten.