[Ambassadors] Active/Inactive Ambassadors

susmit shannigrahi thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 03:19:40 UTC 2007

> I know that it isn't an happy discussion but it's necessary to solve
> this BIG problem: Many ambassadors are inactive both in real world and
> virtually (M-L, weekly meetings etc...).

Really how BIG this problem is ? There will always be people who will
use the brand name..there will always be people who will work for
building it. Anyways..

> I think we have to find a solution and my proposal is this one:
> - After a year of inactivity an Ambassador will be marked Inactive (in
> both personal and global ambassadors pages).

A year is too long.. make it six months. But the problem being how do
you define *active* ?
A couple of mails to the list? Or ten ? Or attending the meeting five times ?
How do you say doing only that means he/she is contributing ? Or somebody who is
not posting is *not* contributing ?
Possibly making the criteria very hard is not going to help. 'cause
everyone has other
jobs to do.

About the meeting. I have a proposal. Make it twice a month..make the
same meeting twice..and make it compulsory..People who are not
attending should justify their reason..

> - If he will do anything for six month after he will be marked inactive
> he/she will be deleted from AccountSystem and Ambassadors Mailing List.

Agreed to this...

> At the moment of the subscription an advice will alert new member of
> this condition.

OK..No problem...But with this alart provide them with some basic kit,
this will encourage them a lot...I don't know what happened to the
survival kit..But its not always easy to carry on without anything to
start with.

> The Ambassador that server for two years (or  virtually and really (both
> are required) the Project will be nominated to be Honored Ambassadors.
> Naturally only the members chose by FAmSCo will receive this status.
> - Every year FAmSCo will nominate no more than 7 Honored Ambassadors
> from community and 3 from RedHat employers that will feed the requirement.
> - The difference with the normal Ambassador is that Honored Ambassadors
> will be permanent ambassadors.

A very big *no* to it.
Recognition awards are fine..so are other ways to acknowledge who
are working just great..but creating a  divide among the Ambassadors are neither
recommended nor a good idea.

There *should not be* any *difference* among the ambassadors.

This sounds like proving loyalty to a company.. If you are loyal then
you will find
this promotion. See, People are here because most of them love
Fedora... It may not be possible for everyone to contribute up to the
same mark. But that should be no reason to mark the ambassadors into
_normal_ and _honored_.

What do you all say ?

--
ssh