[Ambassadors] Active/Inactive Ambassadors

Jeffrey Tadlock linux at elfshadow.net
Mon Apr 2 13:31:58 UTC 2007

Francesco Ugolini wrote:
> - After a year of inactivity an Ambassador will be marked Inactive (in
> both personal and global ambassadors pages).

How do you determine inactivity?  Not making an IRC meeting isn't the
greatest way - I make some of the meetings, but both times usually have
some sort of conflict for me.  One of the times is during my workday and
the other conflicts with meal time with my family.  I make it when I can.

There have already been people saying they are contributing in their own
way, but also have a difficult time making meetings and perhaps finding
time to do more than lurk on the mailing list.  If they are representing
Fedora in their work and within their LUGs - that does quite well to
further interest in Fedora.

> The Ambassador that server for two years (or  virtually and really (both
> are required) the Project will be nominated to be Honored Ambassadors.
> Naturally only the members chose by FAmSCo will receive this status.
>
> - Every year FAmSCo will nominate no more than 7 Honored Ambassadors
> from community and 3 from RedHat employers that will feed the requirement.
>
> - The difference with the normal Ambassador is that Honored Ambassadors
> will be permanent ambassadors.

Why do we need to keep trying to make distinction between various
"levels" of ambassadors?  Let's quit trying to turn this into an elite
club and be open to having people join and contribute in what ways they
can.  I just don't see what this Honored Ambassadors piece gets us.

New ambassadors will easily see who the active ambassadors are by the
work they do.  There is not a need to apply arbitrary titles to ambassadors.

--Jeffrey