[Ambassadors] Active/Inactive Ambassadors

Jim Nanney jnanney at mscoast.com
Tue Apr 3 17:32:03 UTC 2007

Francesco Ugolini wrote:
> After the period of inactivity he will became emeritus ambassador. That
> would be a possible solution.
>
> Francesco Ugolini
>
> susmit shannigrahi ha scritto:
>>> We can support ambassador giving them materials to promote fedora but we
>>> can't absolutely became a gadget shop, people will join th project to
>>> receive the gadgets and probably after this they will do nothing.
>>>
>>> We have just a Recognition Award that prize ambassadors who work hard.
>> Fine..then why another title *honored ambassador* ?
>> Think of a student who works for fedora ,eventually become an honored
>> ambassador for great job, then join an IT company..When he can afford
>> no more time for fedora...
>> become completely inactive..what do you propose in this situation ?

Why not do like the Free Media Contributors section.  List Active
Ambassadors and Inactive Ambassadors.  In this way, no one is "kicked
out" for inactivity.

It is reasonable to assume that everyone who has joined the Ambassadors
program has done so because of wanting to contribute.  So it is also
reasonable to assume they have in whatever way the particular person
could whether or not it was actually reported back.

Moving the names to an Inactive list, but not removing the names is
motivation enough to want to stay active.  If not, it still does not
give the previous (yet now inactive) contributor a "kicked out" feeling.

New titles should be another large discussion.  What would merit
receiving the new title?  Who judges what is worthy of that title?  To
me this can lead to animosity as well.

I propose no new titles, and also not removing Ambassadors.  The
community is stronger by more communication, but new titles, and kicking
out inactive Ambassadors seems to be the wrong way to achieve this.

As for me, I should be on the inactive list, because I have not attended
the IRC meetings, posted on this list, or reported on what I have done
to promote Fedora.

I think the Steering Committee should weigh heavily the downfall that
could occur by removing Inactive (most likely previously active)
Ambassadors, and the animosity that can be created by segregating
Ambassadors in levels requiring differing titles.

- --Jim