[Ambassadors] Active/Inactive Ambassadors

Jason Cross jjacross at mchsi.com
Thu Apr 5 00:46:31 UTC 2007

Hello everyone,

I've been somewhat confused by the whole purpose of this discussion of
inactive/active ambassadors.  It seems that some feel that inactive
ambassadors cause problems, although I haven't been able to tell what
exactly these problems are and how marking people as inactive will fix
these problems.  From what I can remember, there is worry of inactive
ambassadors not responding to e-mails and of ambassadors not
communicating their actions.  I can understand that these are valid
problems, but I think marking people as inactive and removing them is a
very controversial topic considering the number of responses.  I think
maybe we should all take a few step backs and re-evaluate the problems
and look for possible solutions.

The concept of a Fedora ambassador seems very broad, and I don't think
that it is clear from the page Ambassadors/HowTo that reporting one's
actions back to the group is a primary responsibility:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/HowTo
This page presents an ambassador as a person out among the people, but
doesn't touch much on how ambassadors work with other ambassadors.

If ambassadors are supposed to report what they're up to, how will this
data be used in a meaningful way?  Will it just end up in the list
archives? Will statistics be generated?  Will it be put into some type
of database?

As it has already been pointed out, I think our efforts should be put
into recruiting new ambassadors and increasing the group
coordinate/communication.  Maybe it is time to do some brain storming again.

Jason