Re: [Ambassadors] Fedora clonning or fake company

On 8/31/07, Marc Wiriadisastra <marc mwiriadi id au> wrote:
> [...]
Yes, this is an old issue. It's basically a legitimate organization
with a similar name.
> That's pretty elaborate.  They talk about Fedora Core 2.  I would be
> interested to find out what software they are offering.
They talk about Fedora 2,2.1, not Fedora Core 2. They recently
incorporated as Fedora Commons and their new site is

Their product is an open-source program written in Java for the
following purpose:

"Fedora Commons provides sustainable technologies to create, manage,
publish, share and preserve digital content as a basis for
intellectual, organizational, scientific and cultural heritage by
bringing two communities together."

The "two communities" are "communities of practice" and "software developers".

I believe there was a naming dispute at one time, but that's ancient history.

Let's show respect for a legitimate open-source organization who
happens to have a similar-sounding name.

Just my opinion...

John Babich
Fedora Ambassador